Gutter systems are essential parts of homes, and it’s important to keep yours clean and well-maintained. If your gutters are clogged, rainwater won’t flow down the spout and could cost you a lot in home repairs. When cleaning gutter systems, it’s important to follow safety procedures to avoid accidents.
Here are six tips on how to safely clean your gutter system:
- Use a ladder with a stabilizer to keep the ladder from slipping. This will help prevent accidents and injuries. Always work from a ladder or stable platform – never try to clean your gutters while standing on a chair or unstable surface. If you’re not comfortable climbing ladders, call the professionals to do it.
- Always wear gloves. When handling gutter systems or cleaning them out, wear gloves to protect your hands from sharp objects and rotten leaf debris that could contain insects or droppings from birds.
- Wear safe and proper clothing. Go with weather-appropriate, comfortable clothes. Loose-fitting clothes could get entangled with the ladder. Wear non-slip, rubber-soled shoes to prevent slipping off the ladder.
- Wear protective eyewear. When cleaning gutters, you can never tell what might fly out of the downspout when you start to remove clogs.
- Watch out for electrical wires to avoid possible electrical shocks. If you see a power line cable dropping from the power pole to your home’s roof, check for damages on the cable wire. If you see any, call a professional electrician to fix the problem.
- Remove all debris from your gutters before washing them out with a garden hose. Use a small hand trowel or scoop to remove leaves and debris from the gutters, and then rinse them clean.
Knowing that a clean gutter system and downspouts can prevent roof damage and save you money from home repairs is important. Here’s good news! You can eliminate the need to clean your gutter system by installing Leaf Solution, the best gutter guard protection to keep leaves from clogging your gutter. Contact us today for a free estimate.