One of the most popular home improvement projects right now is adding outdoor living space functionality. If you have recently added a new patio or deck, or are in the process of doing so, you’ll need a patio door so you can access it. There are many types of patio doors on the market today. Here are a few tips for choosing the right one for your home.
- French Doors– A popular style of patio door is a double swinging patio door, also called a French door. To go with this style, keep in mind that you need space for the door or doors to swing open. You can choose between one where both doors swing or where one is stationary. Having both swing open is ideal for moving larger items in and out of the house. If space is a consideration, a sliding patio door is probably a better choice.
- Multiple Doors– There is nothing saying you cannot integrate multiple doors to your patio or deck. In fact, a wall of doors can be a wonderful way to enjoy a great view or to get that outdoors feel inside the home.
- Match Your Home– Choose a patio door material that goes with your home’s exterior so it will match well. Consider keeping with the architectural style that your other doors have for a more designer appearance.
- Energy Efficiency– It is great to have plenty of glass for views and sunshine, but consider Low-E glass to guard against UV fading and lower utility bills.
- Maintenance– Consider the maintenance needed for the patio door you select. For example, a wood patio door is going to require far more upkeep efforts than one made of vinyl, aluminum, or fiberglass.
Here at G&S Contracting, Inc. we have a variety of options to choose from, so you can get a patio door that works for your home and your needs. We have a swinging patio door system that is available in two or three units, and we also carry Sunrise sliding patio doors with twice the weather-stripping of other brands and an exclusive insulated glass product that outperforms other types on the market. Call us today to learn more about our products and services.